22 May 2005

Back from the Northwoods

Well, we arrived back from the Notheastern Michigan camping trip safe, sound and all in one piece. We had a great time with some excitement, as well.

The wife and I were bringing in some miscellaneous items from the truck on Friday evening around 10.30 pm, it was a beautiful night, nearly full moon and a clear sky, so there were actually shadows on the ground, both kids were asleep in the cabin and the screen door was closed, we started hearing some loud noises coming through the underbrush. Well, wouldn't you know it that those noises were three black bear cubs and their mother, who proceeded to sit in front of the door effectively cutting off my wife and I from the children. Well, the three cubs played around on the picnic table and the fire ring, climbing trees, and rolling around, while the mother walked back and forth, including quite near (2 ft) to the truck where my wife and I jumped when we saw the 4 bears come into the clearing. We watched the bears for about 5 minutes, the cubs were large in the 40-60 lb range and the mother seemed big, but you know how your eyes lie in the darkness under a bit of stress.

Kids never woke up, thank goodness for small favors, and were never any wiser to what happened, until we told them in the morning.

To make a long story short, the rangers at the rifle river rec area knew about the bear, they tagged her in the winter, but this was the first time she had been seen at a cabin/camp site. We did not leave food or garbage outside, and they didn't seem to be searching for food, kind of felt like they were out for a moonlight stroll, as it sure was beautiful night.

So enough for that excitement, back to the office tomorrow. Planning to take next Friday off, as we are going to the Ann Arbor/Jackson area next weekend to visit friends. Will stop by a brewery on the way down, and load up on some growlers, should be fun.

When am I ever going to ride my bike? I am starting to worry quite a bit, weather is good, I need to start logging miles, if I am going to ride the Lansing to Mackinac ride at the end of the summer.

Drank a bit this weekend, bottle Cab Sav and some beer, nothing extreme, and after the bear experience I'm glad, I wasn't all fluxed up.

Not too much music either, my kids really like the new Green Day cd, so we listen to that a bit.

Bugs were hatching on the river, and the trout were pretty active, took a walk friday evening before Bears and watched (in the moonlight) some trout eating, wished I could have wet a line, oh well.

Trying to figure out the summer vacation plans, would love to go up to the Sleeping Bear Sand dunes this fourth of July, not sure if that'll work or not.

That's it. PO Monte, Out!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home